According to the medical dictionary of Medline Plus, liposuction is the removal of excess body fat by suction with specialized surgical equipments, typically performed by a plastic surgeon.
With the removal of excess body fat, the body appearance improves and evens out distorted body parts. Breasts, buttocks, abdomen, and the face area are some of the most popular body parts that undergo liposuction.
Foremost reason why people resort to liposuction is for cosmetic reasons. They want to eradicate "love handles", unsightly fat bulges, an abnormal chin line, etc.
Liposuction also helps improve sexual function by reducing fat deposits on the inner thighs, thus allowing easier access to the vagina.
Another reason for undergoing liposuction is body shaping that cannot be achieved by diet and/or exercise.
A note of caution, liposuction is not a cure for generalized obesity.
Liposuction is not as easy as just going to the doctor and telling him or her, "I want a liposuction right now." People who want to have liposuction must meet certain criteria:
1) There should be a preliminary consultation. This includes history of the patient, a comprehensive physical examination, and a psychological health examination;
2) There should be a second consultation to give time for the patient to think over the planned liposuction surgery;
3) If the patient is married, the spouse's presence may be required during the consultation;
4) The patient should ask questions about liposuction, express the reasons for the consultation, and must feel satisfied with the answers to their questions;
5) The patient must fully understand the pre-operative liposuction preparations, the liposuction procedures, and the precise post-operative liposuction care to avoid lethal complications;
6) The patient must have realistic expectations. Liposuction enhances the body appearance and boost self-confidence but it will never result to a perfect body.
Because liposuction is a medical procedure, there are risks involved. Some of the complications that may happen upon having liposuction are:
* Fluid imbalance due to the removal of a lot of liquid during liposuction and/or injection of large amounts of liquid during liposuction which can result to shock, heart problems, or kidney problems.
* Infections happen after any surgery and some physicians prescribe an antibiotic to patients having liposuction so it is important to keep the wound clean. Infections may be life threatening such as necrotizing fasciitis (bacteria eating away the tissue) or the toxic shock syndrome caused by bacteria associated with surgery.
* Embolism occurs when tiny globules of fat trapped in the blood stream blocks the blood flow to the tissue. This may cause permanent disability. Signs of pulmonary embolism are shortness of breath or difficulty of breathing.
* Drug reactions or overdose from lidocaine is fatal. Lidocaine is a drug that numbs the skin and large doses of this is used during liposuction. The effects of lidocaine are lightheadedness, restlessness, drowsiness, slurred speech, muscle twitching, and convulsions. Overdose of this drug may cause the heart to stop which is naturally fatal.
* Burns caused by the ultrasound probe during ultrasound assisted liposuction.
* Visceral perforations or puncture wounds in the organs may require another surgery and can be fatal. During liposuction, the physician does not see where the probe (canula) is, so it is possible to harm internal organs.
* Skin death (skin necrosis) occurs when skin changes color and fall off. This may also cause infection.
* Paresthesias is an altered sensation at the site of liposuction. This may be in the form of increased sensitivity in the area or loss of feeling. Some cases of this are permanent.
Given that the surgery had no major complications, recovery from liposuction can still be difficult.
The liposuctioned area appears larger than before because of swelling.
Special compression garments must be worn for two to three weeks to reduce swelling, bleeding, and to help contour the new body. The patient starts to feel better after a week or two after liposuction.
Walking is recommended after liposuction to prevent blood clots forming in the legs. Finally, exercise and diet will help keep your new shape.
Note: This article may be freely reproduced as long as the AUTHOR'S resource box at the bottom of this article is included and and all links must be Active/Linkable with no syntax changes.
©Charlene J. Nuble 2005. For up to date links and information about liposuction, please go to: http://liposuction.besthealthlink.net/ or for updated links and information on all health related topics, go to: http://www.besthealthlink.net/
Millions of people suffer from acne in the United States... Read More
As you age, your skin becomes slack and loses its... Read More
Like every organ in your body, our skin requires adequate... Read More
When you think of projecting a professional image, do you... Read More
If you're thinking that liposuction is a great way to... Read More
It is estimated that about 95% of all women have... Read More
Vaser® LipoSelection? is a revolutionary advance in ultra-sonic liposuction. People... Read More
Staying young and beautiful is an important factor in many... Read More
Cosmetic surgery is big business now, the advances of science... Read More
Maybe you need a Gia Makeover.When it comes to hair... Read More
With more and more of us understanding the serious consequences... Read More
Hi, My name is Rasik Botadra, am currently working as... Read More
It comes as no surprise that many of the most... Read More
When most people use the term Plastic Surgery, they more... Read More
The Internet has provided an ideal forum for discovering cheap... Read More
As women we know that a lack of sleep leaves... Read More
In today's busy, stressful and at times rat race world,... Read More
Sleep is a "natural, temporary loss of consciousness" (Robinson, 1941)... Read More
New enthusiasts are often confused over tanning beds and supplies... Read More
Freckles, age spots, pregnancy mask - these harmless skin defects... Read More
The tanning industry is showing no signs of stopping. If... Read More
The benefits of indoor tanning versus outdoor tanning are widely... Read More
Growing older doesn't have to be a burden. Aging is... Read More
Women are constantly seeking products to look younger and often... Read More
These days, plastic surgery is often much maligned, and while... Read More
Not all cologne and perfume is made equally. In fact... Read More
Great skin is something that nearly everyone can cultivate. Our... Read More
Start with your face: it's your "canvas."Have a little extra... Read More
Ok, you are heading to a small get together or... Read More
Buying salon equipment from a wholesaler is one option to... Read More
In an age where fear of water impurities has millions... Read More
Thinking of getting a kanji tattoo or kanji jewelry? Then... Read More
This is a call to everybody. Save your skin, now... Read More
Many herbs have been introduced into Australia and because they... Read More
Think tanning and you will find a tanning salon just... Read More
With the amount of importance given to make-up these days,... Read More
Beauty salon equipment is a broad term that applies to... Read More
Before putting on those sexy, comfortable open toe shoes make... Read More
Your skin tells a lot about you. Someone who looks... Read More
While many people recall seemingly endless hours outdoors soaking up... Read More
Brow Lift ? Cosmetic Surgery ProceduresThroughout life, natural signs of... Read More
Microdermabrasion is a procedure that improves skin condition. It is... Read More
If you suffer from dry skin your probably always looking... Read More
Who can I trust to find me a best plastic... Read More
Perhaps you want a suntanned look for just one occasion... Read More
Growing older doesn't have to be a burden. Aging is... Read More
The plastic surgery has become a multi-million dollar one, as... Read More
If you are a woman in your late 30's or... Read More
If you are a sunless tanner, your skin's health is... Read More
Mac cosmetics are just the type of cosmetics women are... Read More