Google AdWords is a great tool for driving traffic to your site; but you need to know how to make the most of the system. Many people just find they end up spending loads of money bidding on super-competitive keywords and sooner or later their ads get disabled for under-performing. While your competitors seem to be getting the top spot time and time again! Want to know how to beat them? Read on..
1. Always specify negative keywords. For example, if your product requires payment, include -free as a negative keyword; that way your ad won't be shown to people who include free in their search and you won't have to pay for visitors who have no intention of spending any money!
2. Bid on AS MANY relevant keywords as possible. If you're only bidding on a dozen keywords then you're probably bidding on the same ones as all your rivals and you'll end up having to pay too much per visitor. If you can think of interesting new combinations of keywords that none of your rivals are bidding on, you'll be able to get high up the results very cheaply. Of course, these less common keywords get searched for less often and will therefore bring in less visitors, but because you're paying less, these visitors are potentially more profitable.
3. Try to split your keywords into groups of similar words and then create a separate campaign for each group. In each campaign you can reword your ads so that they are exactly relevant to those keywords. This will dramatically improve the click-through rate. If you Ad contains any of the exact words which the person searched for, then it makes those words bold, and they are more likely to be clicked on. So make sure that each campaign's advert is very closely relevant to the keywords/phrases you bid on.
4. The higher your click-through rate (CTR), the higher you ad will be shown. Even if you are bidding less money than the person above you, if your ad gets a higher CTR Google will show yours higher. If your ad does not get at least 0.5% CTR, google will disable your ad; so do not bid on keywords that are not directly relevant to your adverts!!
5. For every keyword or phrase you bid on, you should also bid on "keyword" and [keyword]. Putting the keyword or phrase into "inverted commas" means that your ad will show any time someone searches for that word/phrase as part of a search with other terms included, putting it in [square brackets], means that your ad will show when someone searches for that phrase and NOTHING else. Google prioritises ads that are closely targeted to what people have searched for, so this will help you get higher up the results.
6. Always run at least two, differently worded, ads for each campaign. Google will automatically show both adverts alternatively, and you can then see which advert gets a higher CTR (i.e. which ad people are more likely to click on). When you've had a good number of clicks you can decide which advert is most effective and delete the less effective one. Then create a new second advert and see if you can get a higher CTR with a different type of wording. This way you are constantly improving the wording on your adverts to make them as attractive and effective as possible.
Steven is part of London web designer Cleartide's team in charge of managing Create a website and 2Clicks.com - the easiest way to build your own website - They specialise in web design, development and strategy.
What are PPC Search Engines?PPC Search Engines are search engines... Read More
Most pay per click ads draw amazingly low click through... Read More
Pay per click (PPC) advertising continues to gain popularity in... Read More
One of the hottest ways to sell affiliate products is... Read More
A large part of Google's multi-billion dollar annual turnover comes... Read More
Pay per click (PPC) advertising can be a dream come... Read More
What is Average Customer Lifetime Value?Traditional business philosophy is that... Read More
Do you know what is the most important question among... Read More
Hi, my name is Darryl Power and I have been... Read More
You may already have heard of this method to get... Read More
Submitting your website to the Search Engines today may seem... Read More
Wouldn't it be great if every keyword in Google's entire... Read More
Pay-per-click (PPC) advertising is when an advertiser pays for each... Read More
I have utilized pay-per-click (PPC) advertising since its inception about... Read More
I recently made a critical mistake in my progression towards... Read More
A lot of affiliates are selling other people's products with... Read More
If you're an active Adsense publisher, I'm sure you have... Read More
Hey, wait a minute. You can't have popups on the... Read More
One of the biggest threats to the continued growth of... Read More
Pay Per Performance Advertising is when the advertiser pays a... Read More
Google's AdSense program is a proven money-maker that has enriched... Read More
What are Website Conversion Strategies?Website conversion strategies are marketing and... Read More
Not getting the satisfaction you want from your AdWords account?... Read More
Never mind the irritating, but effective, pop-up window. There is... Read More
Lots of people say to make your ads blend in.... Read More
As you probably know, Google is the world largest search... Read More
Yahoo announced that their Publisher Network, formerly available in the... Read More
How I Boosted My Monthly AdSense Profits from... Read More
Can you really make money from this?Late 2003, I think... Read More
They are calling him the million dollar man. Jason Calacanis... Read More
Setting up a pay-per-click campaign is simple, right? Practically all... Read More
One of the biggest threats to the continued growth of... Read More
As marketers and business owners, we're always looking for "the... Read More
PPC advertising has many great benefits. First of all, you... Read More
Google Inc. is suing a Houston-based company for allegedly clicking... Read More
Campaign strategy for Paid placement:A Paid Marketing campaigns provides immediate... Read More
Running a pay-per-click advertising campaign can be very expensive if... Read More
It's worthwhile to examine Google's definition of Google AdSense and... Read More
Who Else Wants To Maximize Their Google Adwords... Read More
Google AdSense allows webmasters to dynamically serve... Read More
Webmasters have a revolutionary new method of collecting income from... Read More
An analysis of web's most popular 20,000 keywords by TopPayingKeywords.com,... Read More
My first real foray into Internet Marketing was a Pay... Read More
Writing outstanding ad copy for pay-per-click advertising campaigns is critical... Read More
Google's Adwords service has brought success to many businesses by... Read More
There's tons of money to be made from the Google... Read More
Despite being online using email since 1995, at the start... Read More
The fairy tale existance of Google is starting to experience... Read More
So, you've tried all the marketing techniques you have read... Read More
A well-oiled pay-per-click search engine campaign can land hundreds of... Read More
Pay-Per-Click Advertising Pay-Per-Click Advertising